Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Thunderstruck by Erik Larson

Thunderstruck


















Author: Erik Larson
Publisher: Crown Publishers (Random House)
Year: 2006
Genre: Historical Biography???
Age: Adult 18+
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This review is going to be a little bit different from the way I usually do my others. I had to read this book for the final installment of our Adult STEM series at my library. The last one I completed was for the book The Land of Painted Caves & the discussion was interesting although not many people attended, but the book was awful! This book for our next discussion wasn't much better. I really struggled to get through it. I originally started out reading the book but wasn't getting very far so I decided to try the audiobook...it was 12 hours long...so I took to my last resort of the abridged audio version & it was the best option out of them all. The reader was fine & the story was abridged well I thought considering I don't listen to many abridged books.

Overall the book wasn't the worst I have read just not really my cup of tea. If you like books rooted in history with lots of detail you will enjoy this book. I have also read another book by this author, Devil in the White City, & I remember enjoying that book for the most part.

The basic story line of Thunderstruck was the story of Guglielmo Marconi & his use/invention of the first wireless communication service aka "radio". We also follow the story of a developing murder in London. The stories are woven together although they take place in different places & a few years apart, they climax at the same time, around 1910.

There is some pictures included with the story but I wish there had been more or possibly some drawing etc of the inventions that are spoken of, some maps would have been helpful as well. The story really gets interesting around part V which is about 250 pages in.

I'll be doing a sort of part 2 of this book over the weekend once the discussion has taken place so sty tuned for that!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment