Sunday, November 25, 2018

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
















Author: Joanne Fluke
Publisher: Kensington
Year: 2000
Genre: Mystery
Age: Adult 18+
Pages: 312 pages

Rating:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was our Cook the Books book club pick for the month of December. I see these books getting checked out all the time but I haven't ever read any of them. I will say that this is now our 3rd month with these type of books & they are starting to grow on me. They are short, simple, easy to follow, & sometimes I figure out the mystery & sometimes I'm surprised at the end.

This particular book I was able to read in 1 sitting. Mine didn't include a bonus story in the back but apparently some of the other versions of it do. I originally downloaded the e book but there was no recipes in it! There was a cookie index in the back but no recipes for some reason??? So I checked out the regular hardcover version & I really want to try the recipes for the cookies! At our meeting the girl that was our host for the month decided to make the recipe for Chocolate Chip Crunchies...they were delicious! I would make them again for sure, the little pieces of cornflakes really made a difference in the texture. I'll include the recipe below.

Ingredients:
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups crushed corn flakes
1 cup chocolate chip morsels

Directions:
Preheat oven 350 degrees. Rack in the middle position.

Melt butter, add the sugars and stir. Add soda, salt, vanilla, and beaten eggs. Mix well. Then add flour and stir it in. Add crushed corn flakes and chocolate chips and mix it all thoroughly.

Using a medium sized cookies scoop, scoop out cookies and place on a greased cookie sheet, about 8 per cookie sheet. Press down slightly with a floured or greased spatula.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack until they're completely cool. (The rack is important - it makes them crisp.)

Hannah's Note: If these cookies spread out too much in the oven do not flatten before baking.

Overall I enjoyed this book, I didn't figure out who the killer was until the very end & was surprised with how it played out. I checked out book #2 & I'm hoping to continue reading the series over time. One of the ladies also told me at the meeting that this book series was made into movies by Hallmark channel, I'd be interesting in seeing them if I can find them on streaming. Has anyone seen them? Are they good? Worth while? Also another interesting thing I noticed about this book that seems to be a pattern is the main character is a red head & most of the other books in this genre have had the same pattern.

Our book for next month is #2 in the magical baking mysteries, it's called Bewitched, Bothered, & Biscotti by Bailey Cates. We all really enjoyed the first one so I'm looking forward to the others.





No comments:

Post a Comment