Saturday, February 3, 2018

The 100 by Kass Morgan

The 100

















Author: Kass Morgan
Publisher: Alloy Entertainment
Year:2013
Genre:Sci-fi/Romance
Age: YA 13+
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I started watching the show The 100 on Netflix in the last few months & I've made it t season 3 so far. Overall it's a good show so when I found out it was a book series I went for it naturally. I'm going to do a little comparison at the end of this review.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is book #1 of 4 in a series. I listened to it on audio & read it between that. I've been doing that recently. I really like audiobooks but on a daily basis I don't get to listen much. So if I listen when I can then read when I can't I finish books fairly quickly. This audiobook was interesting because there were 2 readers. One reader was doing the female voices, & one was doing the male voices. I'm hoping to continue listening on audio if I can get them so I hope that pattern continues.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book has 4 different points of view: Clarke, Wells, Bellamy, & Glass.

Clarke is the daughter of 2 important scientists. They are killed & she is confined all for the same crime.

Wells is the Chancellor' s son. He did something really bad so he could be on Earth with the girl he loves (one guess as to who it is LOL).

Bellamy wasn't supposed to go to Earth because he's not a prisoner. But he wanted to go with his younger sister Octavia. (They are unique because The Colony has a strict rule about having more than 1 child).

Glass was on the ship to Earth for also breaking an important rule of The Colony & she jumped ship when Bellamy got on. She wants to stay in space with the boy she loves.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been 300 years since the entire human race had to leave Earth because of nuclear winter. All of humanity lives in space on a set of ships known as The Colony. The Colon is broken down into 3 main ships Phoenix, Walden, & Arcadia. Phoenix is home to the rich & Walden is home to the poor.

On The Colony if you commit a crime before your 18th birthday you are confined. If you are an adult already you are executed on orders by the council (most of the time). The ships of the Colony are running out of oxygen so they need to find a solution fast. There is 100 juvenile criminals that are about to become guinea pigs. The Colony is sending them to Earth to find out if it's inhabitable.

Once they reach Earth the 100 can't believe how beautiful it is. But surviving on a planet that has been left behind for 3 centuries is difficult, especially with 100 teenagers. They have to help each other stay alive at all costs. But it's not long before they realize they are not alone on Earth!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Likes: The book is slightly different than the TV show which I think is a good thing. I kinda like the book better for now.

You get to see multiple view points in the book. Not only between different characters but also between the Colony & Earth.

The book is a much slower pace than the show. In the show time goes by quick. In the book it has only been a few days since they got to Earth.

The story is both realistic in the sense that 100 teens have to survive on Earth based on what little info they have learned in the last 300 years & its futuristic because this might actually be a situation we find ourselves in one day.

There are flashbacks in every chapter so we get to find out how some of the teens ended up in confinement.

Dislikes: This is something I have seen in books a handful of times & it doesn't make me dislike the book overall but I always feel like I should put it in my review. There is a scene in this book where a girl is almost raped.

This book also has sex in it.The sex isn't described but it is obvious that it happened. Again this doesn't make me dislike it but I'm telling you as the reader.

There is also a scene where a mother is trying to kill her child & also trying to commit suicide.

 Rating:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book & TV Show Comparison:
I have seen almost through season 3 so I can't speak for all the books or all the TV show but thee are some of the major differences that I have seen so far...

In the TV show The Colony is called The ARC.

In the book both of Clarke's parents are dead but in the TV show her mother is still alive & plays a pretty important role.

There are some characters in each that are not there in the other. For example a boy named Finn is in the TV show but not in the book (yet) & in the book there is a girl named Glass that is not in the TV show (yet).

On the TV show not as much time has passed since humanity left Earth.

The show moves much quicker than the books. In the show they figure out there are others on Earth within the first few episodes. But in the book they don't know until the very end.







No comments:

Post a Comment