Sunday, May 31, 2020

The Selection by Kiera Cass

The Selection















Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: Harper Teen
Year: 2012
Genre: Dystopian/Romance
Age: YA 13+
Page Count: 220

Audio Publisher/Year: Harper Audio/ 2012
Audio Reader:  Amy Rubinate
Audio Length: 8 hours

Rating:







~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is book #1 in The Selection series, there is a total of 5 books not counting the novellas.

I have had this book on my ereader since it came out but never read it! I heard that it was becoming a series on Netflix so I thought why not now?  I'm excited to see the show when it comes out & I'm very happy to have started the series finally. It is a finished series as of 2016 which means I don;t have to wait 5 years for all the books to come out, whoo! It's been a while since that's happened to me. Normally I see these awesome books & can't buy them quick enough then I get so mad when I read them & fall in love but have to wait 3+ years for them all to be published. At this point I've been burned enough that I try do some research & be as calm as possible waiting for publication, because you know I have NOTHING else to read, right? So let us begin...

I wasn't sure if I was gonna like this series when it first started. It's definetly on my radar as far as what I like to read. It reminded me alot of The Hunger Games & The Glittering Court. Actually it's kinda of a perfect hybrid of those. The Glittering Court is a series I mistakenly started before all the books were out, they are now, it's on my infinite TBR list. The audio reader for these books isn't the greatest, her voice is very monotone & kind of low for a woman, so I feel like it's better maybe in book form. But I got the audiobook & I was kinda going back & forth, something I do freqently so I can finish books faster.

I wasn't really sold on this book until about 15 chapters in. It was a little predictable in the beginning, but it's an almost 10 year old YA book so what else can I say. It came out when books like this were popular. This story though has something other than just brute strength, violent killing, & romance like some of the others. It was a spark I guess you could say. I can't quite describe it.

The main character America has something going on other than a love triangle, but I don't know what is it yet. Much like The Hunger Games & Twilight, etc there are sides when it comes to the boys she has to choose from. I am definetly on Team Maxon. I think Aspen is a user & a jerk & I just known something bad is going to happen with him & America so she needs to just stay away from him! That's kinda hard though considering he's her personal guard, we'll have to wait & see what happens with that. I really like Maxon! I feel like he is a shielded, rich kid but he also seems to have a genuine interest in the people & the country that his family or maybe "they" (you know...the man, them, the bureaucracy) are keeping from him. I think he could definetly be a good leader if he had all the facts & was given the chance.

I was a little confused when the book first started about the setting, like where they are in the world or when it is? From what I've gathered they live in a place called Illea, named after it's founder/savior. The United States as we know it collapsed after several world wars, maybe 4, so 2 more then have currently happened in our present time. Then China took over & we kinda merged with them??? It's all a little vague, but it's supposed to be a fantasy world unlike our own. They have television & electricity & modern plumbing but no technology so far. Maybe that's what caused the world to collapse? I'm hoping to find out more about that in the next few books.

So tell me reader, did you read this book? Did you like it? What are some of your thought, tell me down in the comments.

Stay tuned for more reviews on the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment