Monday, September 24, 2018

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Eclipse
















Author: Stephenie Meyer
Publisher: Hatchette Book Group
Year: 2007
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Age: YA 13+
Audio Publisher: Penguin Random House Audio
Audio Reader: Ilyana Kadushin
Audio Length: 16 hours & 26 minutes

Rating:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This book is a tie with New Moon for my favorite book of the series. But I might have read it a few more times or at least Chapter 14. Here's the proof:


Literally the spine is broken! Poor thing! But it means it's well loved. It's also unsual for me to have a hard cover I really prefer paperbacks or e books. But I will tell you something about these books I don't like them as much in e book as paperback. I think it has something to do with the font to be honest, is that even possible?

But anyway now that I've read it again I'm pretty pleased. Once again the story keeps getting better & we see the relationships getting stronger. I also watched the movie & am going to include a comparison. I'm gonna try to make this a smaller post by talking about the big changes or things that I really liked or didn't like as apposed to breaking down the movie.

I really liked this book because Jacob finally steps up & tells Bella how he feels seriously & to her face, then she tries to break his & it's hilarious! There were some parts of this book I was dying with tears in my eyes laughing. Other parts like the kiss on the cliff before the fight & Bella talking to Jake afterwards just broke me. But we al know how the story will end so my time with Jacob will end too & I'm kinda sad. Someone needs to convince Stephenie Meyer to write a spinoff where Bella ends up with Jacob or maybe even a story where it's him & Reneesme, that could be interesting...

Now watching the movies back to back with reading the books I'm starting to notice a pattern. The books really focus on Jacob & Bella & they seem to almost make them a thing. But the movies really heavily focus on Edward. The books are still going with the fact that Bella choses Edward but the relationship between Jacob & Bella is stronger in the books. I personally really like that, I think that's why I always thought there would be some big plot twist & she woulc chose Jacob, espically in this 3rd book.

Aside from the forever love triangle this book was interesting because we get to see some more of the Cullen's pasts. I feel really bad for Rosalie & what happened to her. Jasper seemed to have it a little better since he really became who he was supposed to be it seemed like when he became a vampire.

Can we also talk about how awkward that first kiss with Jacob & Bella was...it was painful to read, a little less painful to watch. But that kiss on the cliff & the talk afterwards was heart wrenching. Plus the night in the tent was one of the funniest things I've ever read or seen on screen. But the heart to heart between Edward & Jacob was cute, they were bonding!

I'll give some more insight into what I thought was good or bad below so...without further ado here's my movie/book comparison.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eclipse Book/Movie Comparison:

(The condensed version...I hope!)

When I watch the movies & do these comparisons I take a lot of notes, this one was 4 pages front & back. So I'm gonna try & condense it down to the major differences & their significance if any & what I really liked or disliked.

The biggest difference between the movie & the book this time around was the same thing that happened in the first movie/book. Much like in the first movie where we got to see James, Victoria, & Laurent reaking havoc on the town but in the book they are a mystery until they are there. In this book Edward & the rest of the Cullen's aren't sure what is going on in Seattle until weird things start happening at home & Alice starts seeing small things. But in the movie we get to see Riley being transformed by Victoria right away in the movie opening. Then throughout the movie we see glimpses of the actio in Seattle. The Cullen's & Bella are also very aware of the newborn threat right from the beginning which doesn't happen in the book until much later. I think that this adds to the storyline of the movie giving the viewer more insight if they hadn't read the book.

One of the other major differences between the movie & the book was the timeline. Things are just slightly changed around in the movie. For example the two scenes where Jake brings his bike to the school are combinedinto one with Bella going with him. Then instead of Bella & Alice having a slumber party & Rosalie talking to Bella the slumber party never happens but Rosalie gets her moment later. I don't think the change in the sequence of events affects the story at all it just makes things flow smoother in the movie version.

Throughout the series we have been learning bits & pieces about the Cullen's lives as humans. We get to learn more in this installment about Jasper & Rosalie. In the first one we learned about Alice, Carlisle, Esme, & Emmett. But some of those details are not told in the movie like with Emmett & Esme. I think those could have been easily included in the movies & added to the story overall.

Another difference that is significant in the movies is the Volturi's involvement with the newborns. In the book they have no knowledge of the newborns until after the fight. But in the movie they are sort of letting it happen or maybe helping. It really sets them up to be the bad guys in the 4th movie.

The last change has to do with Bella & Jacob's relationship. I touched on this above, in the movie it's more about Edward & the books are more Jacob focused. This is very apparent in the movies because Bella never says "I Love You" to Jake. But in the books she has been telling him that since the beginning & lays it on thick to him in the book before & after the fight. She makes it clear she will choose Edward but she will always love Jake no matter what happens. In the scene after the fight when he is injured & she goes to see him in the book it's more agreeable even though she still hurts him by telling him the truth. But in the movie it makes him seem wounded & Bella seem like a bitch. When in the book she is absolutely devestated by the discussion, this is not shown in the movie at all, hence why I think the movie is more about Edward. 

One of my favorite parts of the book & the movie is the scene in the tent the night before the fight. They cut some of it out of the movie but at one point in the book Jacob says Bella's lips look blue & he could warm them up for her while Edward is there...I thought I was going to die laughing when I heard that when listening to the audiobook.

Another part of the movie that I love is the final scene in the meadow when Bella looks so pretty, I love her hair, & Edward gives her the ring. That ring is georgeous!!!



 I think that was a lot shorter than the last 2 reviews, right? Stay tuned for the final review of Breaking Dawn, I'm hoping to finish it this week!





No comments:

Post a Comment