Sunday, September 23, 2018

Cook the Books by Jessica Conant-Park

Cook the Books

















Author: Jessica Conant-Park
Publisher: Berkeley Publishing Group
Year: 2010
Genre: Mystery/Romance
Age: Adult 18+

Rating:






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
***I'm trying a new format for my blog. Less summary with more of what I thought etc. Good? Bad? Let me know***

This is one of the few books that I've just read & not also had on audio in the past few months. It was a really short read which is good considering our first new book club meeting is tomorrow. This is the first book for the new group that I picked out. We stopped doing The Book was Better earlier this month because we were not having any participation. So this new book club is called Cook the Books (get it? the book I picked has the same title, so clever!). The premise is we read one of those mysteries with the recipes in them & then at the meeting we eat one of the recipes & talk about the book I'm the host for the first one & then someone that shows up to the meeting...hopefully we get some attendance...will pick the next book & recipe & they will host etc. I picked this book because of the title mainly but the series gets ok reviews on Goodreads.

It was a very short read but the story didn't have a lot of mystery until the very end. The last few chapters were like a bomb going off, just trotting along & then boom the killer emerges, & ta da the end! I think the storyline could have been a little bit better thought out. We'll see what everyone thinks tomorrow. I also feel like the main character Chloe is a little bit of a shopaholic spaze. There's nothing wrong with that but some of her decisions are a bit questionable in the book. I was able to read the whole thing in one day which I think is a plus considering the meeting is tomorrow, but I also think that's the premise of these books in the first place to be quick & light hearted & a little bit funny. This is my first recipe mystery so I'm not sure what I was expecting. If this book club takes off I can decide what I like & don't like about this genre more as we go along. But I think the cncept of the book club is a good one & I really hope people participate. Overall it wasn't the best book I've ever read but it was light & fun & a little bit funny.

As for the recipe I picked the Pumpkin Cheesecake Tarts & I tried one, they are like a cupcake pie combo. A little crispy but a little mousse fluffiness too. I think people will like them & they were pretty simple to make. I followed the recipe exactly & I think they taste pretty good. I'll include the recipe & a picture of my tarts. The recipes included with the book are different from what I excepted but they do eat all of them in the story, Once again since I've never read one of these books I'm not sure if that's typical.







No comments:

Post a Comment