Sunday, October 21, 2018

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic
Year: 2009
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Age: YA 13+
Pages: 390

Rating:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am shocked that I haven't read this book before now! I discovered it when I was looking at lists online for books that you want to read after reading Twilight. I remember this book getting checked out a lot when I was a school librarian but it was never on my radar until this last month. I'm happy I finally read it & I'm going to finish the series this month hopefully, if not definetly next month.

The book is a good size page wise & the story is told from multiple points of view. We get Grace's point of view & Sam's; Sam is the werewolf & Grace is the girl he saved & has been in love with since. But Grace has also been watching Sam in his wolf form, hiding in the woods.

The concept of Sam changing based on the weather is something I have never heard of before. Then when Grace & her friends decide to try & find a cure for being a werewolf that is really where the story started insteresting me. Unfortunately that was about 300 pages in. But that has me hooked enough to read the rest of the books. I think that this book could have been a standalone based on the way it ended & maybe the author was going to do that, I'm not sure???

I will say that the beginning of the book was slow, I wasn't really hooked right away. I was interested enough to keep going & I'm happy I did, but if you decide to read this book just stick with it becase it does get better. The ending & the way that they decide to try & cure the wolves is INSANE! I'm not gonna give it away but WTF! That was what really kept me reading because I didn't think it was gonna work & it kinda didn't...it's hard to explain but I'm satisified with the ending & the book overall.

I also like that the words are printed in the color of the cover, this is true for all of the books. The 2nd one that's green looks espically pretty. The covers are also interesting, there's a progression shown on them that kinda gives away the story maybe? We start with this one seeing who I'm assuming to be Sam as a wolf staring at the reader. Then on the next one we see Sam I think as the wolf & Grace walking away into the woods. Then on the final one we see Sam as a human & Grace as a wolf I think, once again all of this is speculation just from looking at them. I'll include a picture of them down below so you can decide for yourself. I'm also interested in trying to find an audio version of the book & see if it has different readers.


No comments:

Post a Comment