Sunday, June 14, 2015

Week 1

I survived my first week! I feel very accomplished coming from the same job for 3 years to learning a new one in one week & being pretty good at it. Let's recap...

Things I learned:
How to work SIRSI ( for my non library readers that's what holds all the library info & is used to check things in & out, etc)
How to catalog items from existing records in the county or elsewhere (original cataloging will be next)
How the library is organized (and not)
Setting off the alarm is not a good thing
I love having my own office
I need to learn the dinosaur song
Kids love reading to dogs
The library can't be closed until 6 p.m.
I value sleep more than ever
Friendships can be made anywhere with people you might not expect
Clearing the patron tracker takes skill (by skill I mean holding your hand just right, sticking out your tongue, & possibly standing on one foot)
I love books now more than ever
Harry Potter is still an institution in the world of reading & will never die
Finally...
I need to read more because I will never possibly get through all the awesome books I'm cataloging!

Overall I really like my new job. Covering lunches up at the desk & helping to open is interesting. It's a much different environment from the school but that is a good thing at this point. The drive is not as bad as I thought it would be but I am definitely moving into town before the winter hits.

I did see some wildlife, sheep crossing the road on my way to work one day. They were pretty cool but did not want to get out of the way. I also saw a wolf which was scary but really cool because it was coming out of the woods right by the road. That's what I get for living in the mountains.



I did get a chance to hang out with my new co workers & see Pitch Perfect 2 which was great. It was very funny, loved the songs & choreography, & it was a great addition to the first one.

More about my 2nd week & a book review to come...stay tuned! 




No comments:

Post a Comment