Thursday, December 26, 2019

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian













Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Year: 2009
Genre: Mythology
Age: Juv 10+
Page Count: 257

Rating:





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is book #5 in the Percy Jackson series.

On Christmas 9 years ago I got my first ereader. I have always had a Barnes & Noble NOOK. As long as they are in business I will be faithful to them! I have since traded in my first ereader, it finally died a few years ago. I'm on my second one now, it's a NOOK Simple Touch Reader. I'd like to upgrade to the newest bigger version of mine but that will have to wait until Christmas next year. Percy Jackson was one of the first books I bought & I still have them today. I read the first 3 books in the series when they came out for sure. Book #4 when I reread it I didn't remember much so I'm not sure if I ever read that one. I for sure didn't read book #5 until yesterday...10 years later! I'm pretty sure that book has been on my TBR list the longest. Isn't that crazy!

I'm very happy to have finally finished the series. I didn't expect it to end the way it did. I was pretty sure Percy & his friends were going to win the battle, but I didn't see the ending to the prophecy with Luke, what happened to Rachel, or Percy & Annabeth finally getting together coming at all. There was also a new prophecy given that will take us into the next series, The Heroes of Olympus. I have the first book on hold because I couldn't get it immediately on ebook & I am holding off on buying it for now. it's about a week overdue right now & the waiting list on the ebook is 3 weeks or longer.

It's also amazing to me that these books are still so popular after all these years. Riordan has new books coming out each year it seems like & he has many different series now including a viking series. I feel like the end of Percy's story was both happy & sad. There was quite a few causalities along the way to victory against Kronos. But all the "major" characters made it to the end. Someone told me that Annabeth & Percy are kind of in the next series, that makes me happy. I hope they have a long & happy life together! One of the things that I like most about this series is that a lot happens in a short period of time during the story but it doesn't feel rushed. I also feel like it exemplifies traditional qualities we like to see in children's stories like friendship & good vs evil. I would highly recommend this series to anyone looking for a good, clean action adventure series perfect for kids of all ages & adults! Look for more reviews of Riordan's books to come hopefully this next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment