Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Battle of the Labyrinth

The Battle of the Labyrinth















Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Year: 2008
Genre: Mythology
Age: Juv 10+
Page Count: 240

Audio Publisher & Year: Penguin Random House (Listening Library)/ 2008
Audio Reader: Jesse Bernstein
Audio Length: 10 hours & 33 mins

Rating:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is book #4 in the Percy Jackson series.This was also my final book for my Goodreads reading challenge this year! I did it! Plus there still a little over a week left in 2019 & I plan on reading at least 2 more books. I think I'm gonna try & read 100 books next year, do you think I can do it? How many books did you read this year? Let me know down in the comments.

I think this book was my favorite of the series so far. I thought the last one was, but this one is when the fighting really started & I feel like the ending is going to be a happy one, I think they can beat Kronos. I have to keep telling myself that this is a kids book so the ending has to be ok, right? Not like no one dies, that has already happened. But as far as the whole good vs evil thing goes. Good meaning Percy & his friends are going to win! I think I might stay up & read book #5 tonight actually. I have tomorrow off & I'm not going anywhere or doing anything so I think I can finish it. Then I seriously have to read the book club book, the meeting is on Monday! I'm such a slacker. We even had an extra week to read it because of the holiday. Anyway...back to Percy.

I try to keep my reviews as spoiler free as possible but some crazy stuff has happened in this book  & I have thoughts so if you do not want to read spoilers TURN BACK NOW!

I have previously read the first 4 books in this series. Or I think I did. When I started reading this one I didn't really remember anything about it like I had with the previous books which is making me think maybe I only got to book #3??? So this book was the first book in the series that truly surprised me & I'll tell you why. First off Grover gets another chance to go looking for Pan with his searchers license that is almost taken away from him at the beginning of the story. I'm happy he gets to keep it because they do find Pan. Unfortunately it's not the magical reckoning I had pictured. Pan hid himself on purpose because the wild was disappearing. Then people forgot about him, except for the satyrs of course, they made it their life's mission to find Pan. We learn in this book that of people forget about you whether your a god or not you"fade" that's what they call a god's death. Pan has been hanging in for the past 2000 years so that someone would find him & he can give his essence to them to preserve the wild, or try to. So Percy, Tyson, Annabeth, Grover, & Rachel are the ones that finally find him. He fades along with some very special extinct creatures he was hiding & they can go & carry on the wild. I think it's kinda funny that the fate of the wild is in the hands of 2 demi-gods, a mortal, a satyr, & a cyclopes. How did that happen???!!! It was kinda sad to know that the mortal world just forgot about nature but it's also true in a way.

Then we have Daedalus, the creator of the Labyrinth. He has been thought long dead but he actually was able to create an autonomous body for himself & live forever. He is hiding in the camp with his hell hound pet Mrs. O'Leary & he comes to save the day after fighting his own eternal enemy. I didn't know that his son was Icarus, the one that flew too close to the sun & perished. He is also a child of Athena like Annabeth, very small world. *Side note-I need like a Greek dictionary or something to remember & spell all these names!* You think he is the bad guy but he comes through for them in the end which is always nice to see, too many bad guys in the world is not a good thing!

Finally we have Kronos. He finally rises in this book but it's not how you think & it's not like in the movie either. He has somehow gotten into Luke's body. But Percy & them saw who they thought was Luke in the Labyrinth. So either Kronos isn't really in Luke's body or the other Luke they saw is some kind of copy or trick. I'm hoping to get more clarification in the final book. Of course Annabeth was crushed. She loved Luke & now he's gone, maybe? I think Kronos being part mortal, if that's the case, culd be a good thing? We'll see what happens in book #5. I'm so excited to finally know how Percy's story ends after all these years!

 I am hoping to read some more books by this author next year. I'm having a hard time getting a hold of them. My library has some in book, some audio, some in ebook, & some in eaudio. We'll see what I can get my hands on. I honestly would just buy them to make it simple but I am trying to save money & not buy as many books in general because I have some many, that's actual books & ebooks. I also cancelled my Audible account in an effort to save money & I also have a backlog if audiobooks that I own as well to get through. That's part of what I want to do next year, we'll see how far I get.

I'm planning on doing a best books of the year list as well as a best books of the decade list if I get to them soon. I'll also be working on my reading resolutions & get those out as well. Look for more reviews in 2020!




No comments:

Post a Comment