Saturday, May 4, 2019

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secret?















Author: Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: The Dial Press (Random House)
Year: 2004
Genre: Chick Lit
Age: Adults 18+
Page Count: 357

Audio Reader: Emily Gray
Audio Publisher: Penguin Random House
Audio Year: 2006
Audio Length: 10 hours & 45 minutes

Rating:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every time I read a book by this author I think they can't get any funnier, but some how they always do! I have tried to listen to this book on audio about 4 times. The timing is always wrong! I either get it with 2 or 3 others all at once, or I never get to it because it takes me longer than expected with my previous one. I finally got this one at the prefect time. I own a lot of books by this author & we have several at the library so that combo means I can read them all, but for some reason I really like listening to them on audio almost more than just regular reading. The same is true for the series Joanne Fluke writes.

I'm always saying how funny & great these books are so I'll tell you why in a little more detail...

Sophie Kinsella's characters are always relatable on some level. Take the main character of this book for example, Emma Corrigan. She's got a job that is a joke even though she's working her ass off, her boyfriend is almost perfect although slightly annoying, she has fabulous friends, & then one day that all changes. Of course this change involves a man...that's always the case, isn't it? We've all had jobs like that & we all know someone that spends too much time getting ready for a date & cares highly about what other people think. Most of these characters also remind me of me & my life...maybe that means I'll get a happy ending too? Lets hope its soon!

The stories also always have a happy ending which is comforting, although everything that you can possibly think of, & some things you can't happen too throughout. Up until the very last chapter or 2 you really don't know how it's gonna end. But no matter what happens there's a happy ending.

The audio readers are different for each book. They are always female & always have an accent. I like readers with accents personally but I hear frequently at work that many people do not.

This book & most of her others are less than 12 hours unabridged which means you can finish them quickly if you are a consistent listener.

The final thing I will tell you that is true for this authors books is the romance in my opinion isn't always realistic. I like that aspect of the books though. Similar to fantasy romance, I don't think an intern falling in love with a CEO after one chance meeting could happen in real life. But that's one of the things I love about these books.

Here's to more happy endings! 🍻







No comments:

Post a Comment