Monday, May 18, 2020

The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

The Bookshop on the Corner
Author: Jenny Colgan
Publisher: Harper Collins Publishers
Year: 2016
Genre: Fiction
Age: Adult 18+
Page Count: 272

Audio Publisher & Year: Harper Audio 2016
Audio Reader: Lucy Price-Lewis
Audio Length: 9 hours & 13 mins

Rating: 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was our Cook the Books book club pick for May 2020, we had to meet a week earlier than normal because of the holiday next week. I read this book over the last 2 days & I really liked it. We have previously read another book by this author that I also really enjoyed. The audio reader was very good in this book if you like a reader with an accent.

Overall the story, characters, & setting of this story were all excellent. The only thing that was a little predictable was Nina, our main character, ending up falling for her landlord, Lennox the farmer.

The setting couldn't get any better! Our story starts off in London, England & Nina ends up leaving her job for a new adventure in Kirrinfief, Scotland. I didn't realize that Scotland is so far up there that it's light out almost all summer & dark almost all winter. They also get to see the northern lights which I've always wanted to do. 

Nina our main character is very relatable. I felt like she was me in a way but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to give up my entire life & move to a different country...but you never know, right? She has 2 love interests, one of them turns out to be not so good for her even though both she & you as the reader I think really want it to happen. She ends up with the farmer Lennox, everything kinda falls into place so maybe he's the right choice after all? Her best friend is hilarious & over the top, everyone needs someone like her in their lives. There is a situation in this book involving 2 kids & a seemingly absent mother. I was very worried about how their story was going to turn out but I was pleasantly surprised.

I am really excited to continue the story in book #2 & book #3 comes out in a few weeks so I'm hoping my library will get it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment