Sunday, October 7, 2018

Sea Witch by Sarah Henning


















Author: Sarah Henning
Publisher: Harper Collins
Year: 2018
Age: YA 13+
Genre: Fantasy/Fairytale Retelling

Rating:






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WOW!!!!

This book was not what I expected at all!

I gave it 4/5 stars because the ending comes up really quickly, I think the timing could have been a little better. I also think the different perspectives is a good idea but they could use some more finesse. But overall I am very impressed considering this is her first book.

I have never read the original story of The Little Mermaid by Hans Christan Andersen but this book  makes me what to know more. I remember this summer there was a movie that was coming out called The Little Mermaid that was kinda dark & weird but I never saw it, this book reminded me of that too. More research is needed!

This story is part romance, part magic, part history, & part dark fantasy. All that crammed into only 348 pages packs a serious punch on paper. The charcters are interesting & different in their own way. The setting is beautiful & romantic but deadly next to the sea.


The princes sounded like people you could actually relate to in real life. Nik was the younger, slightly shy one. But he was still handsome & strong, leading his future people, like a prince should be. Then Iker was devilish & cunning, hard working, sexy. Two sides of a coin to complete the story.

I'm interested in the audio now that I've read it, I'm wondering if there is multiple readers since there s multiple points of view. I'll have to investigate that sometime.

Doing this kind of review style that is more about my thoughts & feelings as opposed to the summary of the story makes reading more enjoyable instead of me taking notes the entire time & trying to remember every detail. One thing I did have to do while reading this book was stop to look up some of the Danish words because their meaning wasn't in context or described well.

In the end I'm just blown away by the ending of this story, it was so good, there isn't much else to say. 


No comments:

Post a Comment