Saturday, April 25, 2020

The Union Street Bakery by Mary Ellen Taylor

The Union Street Bakery
 
Author: Mary Ellen Taylor
Publisher: Berkley Publishing Group
Year: 2013
Genre: Fiction
Age: Adult 18+
Page Count: 338

Rating:
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the first book in a duology. It was our Cook the Books book club pick for March & I just now finished it! I have been in a little bit of a reading slump lately so I'm happy to have finally finished this book. And guess what? Just in time to read the next book club book since the meeting is on Monday! I know...I do it everytime but at least I'm consistent. So let's talk about this book. I still cannot believe it took me 5 weeks to read this. But to be fair I was only really reading it in the last week.

This book in a nutshell takes place in Alexandria, Virigina & our main character is a girl that has lost her way. She was abandoned as a kid & adopted by the kind bakery owners that found her in their shop at 3 years old. Now in her 30's she has just lost her house, her job, & he fiance in a matter of weeks. She has to move back home for herself but also to help her family & the now failing bakery. Add in a family mystery from the 1800's, slavery, & ghosts & that is our story. 

The only thing I really disliked about this book was that the ending happened so quickly. It seemed like it could have been planned out a little better so that all the exciting stuff didn't happen right at the end. Other than that the setting is nice, sounds like a fun place to work & live. The characters are relatable & likeable. Our main character is Daisy & I think at some point in our lives we are all Daisy, just lost in the world & we need something to help us & bring us back. Her sisters are really funny! There is Margaret who is the brainiac, she reminds me of me because of her love of archaeology. Then there is Rachel, she has just lost her husband & she has 2 kids & desperately loves to bake. So together with their loving parents the family keeps the bakery going & has been since the 1800's when it first opened. I guess there is kind of a mystery in the story involving an old journal & a family secret but if you read between the lines you'll be able to figure it out. 

Overall not a bad book I just wasn't fully committed right away. I think at some point in the future the book club wants to read the next book. There's also another series written by this author that I would try as well, we'll see what happens. 

This book also has recipes! They sound amazing as usual, I'll include one down below for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment