Monday, October 28, 2019

The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey

The Girl With All The Gifts















Author: M.R. Carey
Publisher: Orbit/Hachette Book Group
Year: 2014
Genre: Sci-Fi/Horror
Age: Adult 18+
Page Count: 403

Audio Publisher & Year: Blackstone HBG, 2014
Audio Reader: Finty Williams
Audio Length: 13 hours

Rating:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So it's October 28th & this is the only book I've read this month!!! How did that happen! Things have been a little crazy with me this month I guess. Hopefully with a few days off next month I can read a little more. Anyway...

This book was recommended to me by a previous co-worker & I was a little shocked that she read it. It seems that it wouldn't be her style or mine really but it was fantastic!!! I have mixed feelings about the end that's why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, but overall it was a great book. I want to read the second one & some of the others by this author as well. The second book is apparently a prequel even though it comes second. I already have it on audio because it was only available at a library in my district that I do not order items from...long story...and it's a bestseller, so it's a no go for now. I'm excited to listen to/read the next one!

I listened to this book on audio & read it because there was times I was just freaking out & the audio wasn't fast enough! The reader has an accent in case you don't like that but was very good. Melanie's little voice just broke my heart at times & at others you want to scream with excitement. I will give a word of caution that there is some gore in this book that is described in detail, I thought it was cool but some may not feel that same way. There is also quite a bit of language. Once again I wasn't bothered by this but some might be.

This book...let me tell you....the three words I would use to describe this book are zombies, apocalypse, & love. I know it's a weird combo. You'd have to read the book to understand.

Basically an epidemic occurred about 20ish years ago in the UK & this virus took over people's bodies, but instead of killing them it turned them into flesh eating zombies that are called Hungries. Some people that survived were moved to an army base & it's on the base that most of the story takes place. On the base there is a psycho evil doctor doing experiments to try & figure out what is up with the virus. She does her experiments on zombie kids that are still somehow human...kind of. That's why we meet Melanie. Melanie is different & special even for a zombie child. She is so extraordinarily smart & kind & thoughtful & just aware of herself & the world.

We also meet her exceptional teacher Ms. Justineau. She reminds me of Miss Honey from Matilda. Actually now that I think about it Melanie also reminds me of Matilda. Our story leads us off the base & into the very scary desiccated real world where the world stopped turning so to speak about 20 years prior. Our group has a private in it's company that literally has never know the world before the apocalypse, it's trippy. He doesn't know what money is or computers or public transport. There are a lot of people in the world like that I presume, unless they became zombies.

We take a turn at some point in the story & we get to see the science & mechanics of the world & of the virus itself & let me tell you, it is amazing! This story makes you think that maybe something like this could actually happen which is both terrifying & fascinating all at once. The relationship between Melanie & Miss J is so heartwarming it is almost too much! That really kept me going when things got really bad. Melanie is just such an amazing character, you will love her right away. The ending was conflicting to me because I didn't think that was going to happen. But about 4 or 5 chapters from the end I knew what our group had set out to do in the first place definitely wasn't going to happen so then I was a little lost. What happened had to happen I guess you could say, but it wasn't pretty or fair. Although that's the way the world works isn't it?

This book would be prefect for fans of The Passage & Crichton lovers alike. I only saw the TV show of The Passage but I've had the book on my list ever since then. Reading & enjoying this book has given me the reassurance that I needed to be able to really say that I am going to read that book, hopefully soon. I have also heard that there is a movie that is based on this book. I'm also planning on watching that soon. I'll let you all know what I think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment